Posted Wednesday, August 21st 2013 @ 10am
Onondaga County Commissioner of Health, Cynthia Morrow, MD, MPH, announced that the New York State Department of Health’s laboratory has reported finding evidence of Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) in two mosquito pools near the Cicero Swamp. Both mosquito pools were collected on August 13, 2013 at our Taft Road trap site located at East Taft Road (near the Totman Road intersection).
Due to these findings, recent mosquito counts, and other factors, aerial spraying of the Cicero Swamp and immediate surrounding areas will be on Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm, weather permitting. Residents in the spray areas, in addition to being notified through the media, will be notified through the emergency notification system. The designated spray area is generally bounded on the north by Route 31, on the west by Northern Boulevard, on the south by Taft Road and on the east by the county line (Chittenango Creek). Roads included in this area are: all or parts of Route 298, Bull Street, Eastwood Road, Island Road, Cicero Center Road, Fergerson Road, Ferstler Road and Oxbow Road. The pesticide that will be used for aerial spraying is Kontrol. This pesticide is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency and the New York State Division of Environmental Conservation for this use. A copy of the pesticide label can be found on the Onondaga County website at:
If someone would like a written copy of the pesticide label please call 435-1649.
During spraying, it is recommended that residents:
- Stay indoors and keep windows closed for one hour after your area has been sprayed
- Keep pets indoors if possible
- Cover outdoor gardens and rinse vegetables before eating
- Set your window air conditioners to circulate indoor air. It is safe to use your central air conditioning
- Remove children’s toys that are outdoors, any outdoor furniture, and clothes from outdoor clotheslines
- If toys or clothes have been left outdoors, wash each thoroughly with soap and water before using and launder clothes before wearing
- If you are driving during the spraying, close your car windows and vents
It is also important that the public continue to take measures to minimize being bitten by mosquitoes and to keep your yard free from standing water